Dr. Looney joins Guilford Orthopaedic on September 12, 2022, and looks forward to serving the Greensboro community.
After graduating from the University of Virginia School of Medicine, Dr. Looney completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Georgetown in Washington, D.C. He completed an additional year of subspecialty training in sports medicine and shoulder surgery at the Rothman Orthopaedic Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he cared for athletes at all levels. During this year in Philadelphia he served as a team physician for Villanova and St. Joseph’s Universities, as well as the Philadelphia Phillies, Eagles, and 76ers.
Dr. Looney has authored numerous peer-reviewed articles in the orthopaedic sports medicine literature, with special interests in hip preservation surgery, hip arthroscopy, and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI), as well as elbow medial ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) injuries, repair, and reconstruction (Tommy John surgery).
Dr. Looney and his wife Tess enjoy spending time outdoors, exploring trails, waterskiing, wakeboarding, and snow sports.
Dr. Looney Specializes in:
- Athletic knee injuries, including knee ligament injuries (anterior cruciate ligament [ACL], posterior cruciate ligament [PCL], medial collateral ligament [MCL], lateral collateral ligament [LCL]); meniscus surgery; and patellofemoral instability (dislocating knee cap)
- Cartilage restoration procedures, including osteochondral allograft (OCA), autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI)
- Hip preservation, including hip arthroscopy, hamstring repair, and hip abductor repair
- Athletic elbow conditions, including medial ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) insufficiency, Tommy John surgery, and elbow arthroscopy
- Shoulder surgery, including instability, rotator cuff pathology, and arthroplasty (joint replacement)
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, BS Biological Chemistry
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Georgetown, Washington, D.C. (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Rothman Orthopaedic Institute in Philadelphia, PA. (Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery)